How I Added 9 Years To My Life (And Said Goodbye To That DadBod)
Before we get into how I shaved 9 years off my biological age and said goodbye to the dreaded DadBod, a bit of background.
The purpose of Argent Alpha is to help Men Over 50 live better, longer. This means losing that gut, improving your health, getting stronger and moving from excuses to action. It means becoming the CEO of your health. It means reversing your age.
What is age reversal?
Chronological age is how long you have been alive: today’s date minus your birthday = chronological age.
Biological age is how old you seem, act, move and live. It’s calculated based on a number of biomarkers. If you are overweight, it’s almost guaranteed your biological age is older than your chronological age.
There are a lot of shifting definitions of what overweight means (measure your 36" waist pants…they are probably 38"…vanity sizes to make you kid yourself). We target 15% for health and most guys are going to be north of 20% body fat (70% of men are overweight or obese so chances are you are in this group). So our definition of NOT being overweight is being around that 15% body fat range.
If you smoke, drink regularly, don’t exercise, eat like crap, and are generally unaware of what I’m talking about, you are probably older than your birthday suggests. And are probably 20%+ body fat. That’s not good. You are trading a cheeseburger and a beer for future years.
This means as you age life will not get better. Quality of life will decrease. It looks like this:
The age numbers are placeholders…none of us know how long we have but I do know this: Men with biological ages lower than their chronological age will be healthier, more energetic, more productive and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Age Reversal is about reversing your biological age so it is less than your chronological age. This effectively gives you more years of higher quality living. So, how do you do this?
Where To Start
At Argent Alpha, we start by improving body composition, a/k/a decreasing body fat %. We do this by focusing on what we call “The Big 5”, the foundation on which good health is built:
If you are over 20% body fat, you have work to do. Read through the various blog posts to learn more about our approach.
If you are curious about your body fat %, find an InBody location near you and get tested. The cost is usually $30 or less. Argent Alpha members get tested every month. We have members who have lost 20 lbs and gone from 22% body fat to 16% body fat in four months. And they aren’t done; this isn’t a 90 day challenge. It’s a lifestyle change.
Biological Age Testing
If you are serious about improving your biological age, get tested to learn where you stand. We are using the Thorne Biological Age test to measure biological age.
I started getting really serious about “The Big 5” on March 29, 2021. Before that I was in decent shape, did regular blood work and was considered pretty healthy. I drank alcohol regularly, didn’t really watch my diet and was around 18-20% body fat.
But I felt like I was slowing down and for the first time in my life I felt I was getting worse (at life), not better. So after doing some research, I created a plan and I spent the next year doing the following:
- Mindset: I created my future self. Here is where I started to learn about that concept. I intentionally created the man I wanted to be. I also have a morning routine that I do every day which includes thinking about my future self, goals, intentions for the day and keeps me on track with my future self. The mindset portion is the key to making all of the other components work. Change your mind, change your life.
- Sleep: Using the Oura ring, I improved the quality of my sleep which helped me recover from the workouts. As an example, my deep sleep went from 30 minutes a night to nearly 120 minutes a night. I applied all the “hacks” I had read about and settled in on a sleep strategy that regularly produces optimal sleep scores. My resting heart rate at night regularly drops to the 45 bpm range.
- Nutrition: I focused on hitting a total calorie and protein goal every day. I tracked every meal in MyFitnessPal. My diet leans towards Paleo and I focused on eating high quality whole foods. We buy way less processed food, eat out less, and drink around 80% less alcohol (which directly impacts sleep scores).
- Fitness: Resistance training 4x a week with hiking, walking and biking mixed in as recreational activities. Strength skyrocketed.
- Hydration: I drank 1 gallon of water every day. Most people are dehydrated so my target was half my body weight in ounces plus a little more.
After a year of this, I had my biological age tested on April 14, 2022. Now I have a baseline. The work I’ve been doing (which led to the creation of Argent Alpha) has paid off. Take a look at my results (which took only 2 days to get once my blood was drawn):
My biological age is 9.2 years LESS than my chronological age! My last InBody scan showed body fat % at 12.4%. My skeletal muscle mass is 50.1% of my body weight. The program works.
And I’m even more motivated to keep working on not only myself but also helping Men over 50 get the same results. All 16 of us in the pilot group are moving the right direction. Accountability, focus, commitment and community produce results.
Our pilot group in Argent Alpha is closed to new members. We will be reviewing applications starting June 1, 2022 for Men Over 50 interested in joining our program and community. We have 16 Men Over 50 in the pilot program all making progress reversing their age and they are helping refine what we will be rolling out later this year.
In the meantime, follow us on social media, share this with your friends (only Men Over 50 are eligible), and start practicing The Big 5 on your own. Get your InBody scan. Get your biological age tested. Pick up one of the books I reviewed and start learning about longevity, age reversal, life extension, and the idea of taking control of your health. Take action. Today.
P.S. Don’t let the media or brands convince you the DadBod is ok. Have some pride. If we can do it, you can too. You just need to start.
Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and sign up for emails at here.